Carers Advice

Are You a Carer?

 If you are looking after someone who couldn’t cope without your help, we really would like you to let us know, so that we can ensure you receive all the support and information we can give. A carer is anyone who cares, unpaid, for a friend or family member who due to illness, disability, a mental health problem or an addiction cannot cope without their support. You are a Young Carer if you are under 18 in this role.


You can be added to the practice 'carer register' and gain access to information and support. This includes access to a named Carer Champion.


A Carer Champion is a staff member at your practice who supports carers.

Sarah Daykin is the Practice's Carer Champion at Jubilee Park Medical Partnership.


As a Carer, you are entitled to an annual flu vaccine, a health check and can request a Carers Assessment.

Ask in your GP practice for more information.


Carers can get information, advice and tailored support by contacting the Nottinghamshire Carers Hub by calling 0115 824 8824. Lines are open Monday to Friday, 9am until 5pm.


You can speak to an experienced support worker who will provide a personalised service that meets your individual needs. The service is available to all carers and all ages.


Alternatively, you can contact them using the following methods:




Information and support for Carers (including carer’s assessments) provided by Nottinghamshire County Council can be found at or by contacting the Customer Service Centre on 0300 500 8080


Click on the link below to download our booklet:

Carer Booklet.pdf

Who are Carers?

 Anyone can become a carer at any time.

A carer is a relative, parent or friend who looks after or is affected by someone who is unwell, has a disability, is frail, experiencing mental health problems, is misusing drugs or alcohol or they have HIV or AIDS. It may mean you help someone with personal tasks for example bathing and dressing. It may also mean that you provide emotional support for someone.

Being a carer can be hard work and isolating. It is important that carers know where they can get information and support.

Should I let my GP know that I am a carer?

It is important to let the surgery know that you are a carer. This will help our staff to understand the pressures you face and try and help you obtain the support you need.

Your GP can refer you to a Carer Co-ordinator who can help you by providing information about, Carer assessments, Benefits and Counselling.

Where can I get Support?

There are lots of places that can offer you support.  was developed with carers in Nottinghamshire and has links to all local services.

There is a wealth of information on NHS Choices about carers and caring. Below are some links into the site that we hope you will find useful.

  • Caring for a parent

    Watch this video on: caring for a parent at home

  • Telling people

    Caring responsibilities can make it difficult to maintain friendships or develop new ones. Telling your friends you're a carer is important so they understand and can support you.

  • Taking a break

    Caring for someone can be a full-time job, but it's essential that you take time out for yourself too. Read our guide to accessing breaks and respite.

  • Housing and carers

    Do you know your tenancy rights as a carer? Are you aware of all your care at home options? Do you need tips on moving someone around the home?

Nottinghamshire Carers Association

 As a carer, you are also entitled to an annual flu vaccine and a health check.

You are also entitled to a Carers Assessment, you would need to contact the Nottinghamshire Carers Hub for this (details below).

Nottinghamshire Carers Association

Nottinghamshire Carers Association works with schools, health and social care professionals to raise awareness of Carers .

We are supporting organisations to identify Carers and Young Carers and offer the best support possible. Contact Nottinghamshire Carers Association on

Nottinghamshire Carers Hub

Carers Trust East Midlands provides timely, personalised information and support for Carers via the Nottinghamshire Carers Hub to make caring for a loved one easier.

Contact Nottinghamshire Carers Hub on:

0115 824 8824 Lines are open Monday to Friday, 9am until 5pm You can speak to an experienced support worker who will provide a personalised service that meets your individual needs.



Radford Care Group

 Information Programmes for Carers of People with Dementia

These free programmes consist of seven, two-hour weekly sessions, covering a different aspect of dementia at each session and are held in City & County* locations – Please contact Radford Care Group for more information:

Telephone: 0115 9786133

Or visit 

The groups are facilitated by specialists in dementia group work and will consist of about 12 carers. Help with respite services and transport may be available. The carers are asked to contribute £2.50 per session towards refreshments. - We are happy to take referrals from both Nottingham City and County.

The Information Programme has been very successful and proved to be of considerable value to carers who are often coping alone and in difficult circumstances.

Tuesday 14th July 2020 – Tuesday 25th August 2020

6.30 pm – 8.30 pm

Wednesday 21st October 2020 – Wednesday 2nd December 2020*

2.00 pm – 4.00 pm TBC

Thursday 22nd October 2020 – Thursday 3rd December 2020

10.30am – 12.30pm

Saturday 16th January 2021 – Saturday 27th February 2021

10.30am – 12.30pm

The Carers Unit

3 Church Street, Arnold, Nottingham, NG5 8FD.
Telephone: 0115 9671063

The carers unit can offer advice and information, such as information about carers assessment, support groups and practical help. A regular newsletter will also keep you updated with local and nation news for carers.

The County emergency card for carers. You carry this card so that in an emergency care may be provided on your behalf.

You may also find out where to get more help and information from

Nottingham Self-Help Support Group

Ormiston House
32-36 Pelham Street
Nottingham, NG1 2EG

Telephone: 0115 911661, Mondays- Fridays 9am – 1pm

Can provide details of many support groups that can help provide information and support.

Carers UK

They’re here to make sure that no matter how complicated your query or your experience, you don’t have to care alone.

Telephone: 020 7378 4999


Welfare Rights Advice

The Welfare Rights Service provides free, independent information, advice and advocacy on welfare benefits.

Telephone – 0845 601 5943 Between 11am – 1pm weekdays.

Or Telephone 0115 9774018 for leaflets or advice on where to go for advice.

The Stroke Association

Contact Lorna Rowe, Nottingham City Hospital, Hucknall Road, Nottingham NG5 1PB

Telephone: 0115 9691196 Ext 53224 or 07507 400284
Stroke Helpline : 0845 3033100

This is a family and carer support service that can offer practical and emotional support for families and carers of people who have had a stroke.

Young Carers

Are you between 5 and 24 years old and looking after someone?
As a young person caring for someone you may be entitled to support. Please contact the Early Help Unit and ask for a Young Carers Assessment.

Early Help Unit. Telephone : 01623 433500



Post: Early Help Unit, Meadow House, Littleworth, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, NG18 2TB

Other Resources for Young Carers

Finance and Law

Help claiming benefits, looking after your bank balance and understanding the legal issues of caring.

  • Benefits for carers

    Directing carers to the benefits that can help them in their caring role

  • Benefits for the person you care for

    Advice and information on helping the person you look after get the benefits that they are entitled to

  • Death and benefits

    How your benefits maybe affected after the death of the person you look after and what happens to their benefits

  • Managing someone's legal affairs

    Advice for when carers find they have to take over the legal affairs of the person they are looking after

  • Other benefits

    Advice for carers and the people they are looking after on claiming a whole host of other benefits unrelated to their disability or caring

  • Personal and household finance

    Advice on keeping a tight rein on household and personal finance for carers

  • Social fund
  • Tax credits

    Information on claiming tax credits and whether you might be eligible